Hiring someone to help you with your collection or products can be stressful. As designers and creative people we worry ….. about our designs being knocked off or our innovative ideas stolen. We worry about when payments should be made or if your work will continue to be yours and only yours.
There are a few simple steps you can take to give you some peace of mind. Always meet the service provider in person this will also ensure that you can work well with the service provider. When dealing with design work there is a lot of interaction between the client and pattern maker service provider and getting a feel for the service provider’s personality will be beneficial during the next week or months of work. Below are a few tips to ensure you have the best experience possible:
1. Always have your service provider sign a work for hire contract, which will protect your work, ideas and innovations. It should also list details of the job that will be completed and cost. If your service provider has his or her own contract make sure you read it carefully, just as any document you would place your autograph on.
2. Be clear about how payments are to be made; an easy and fair payment system is 50% of the total cost to get the work started and the remainder when the work is completed.
3. Ask questions and be honest about time frames and deadlines you are trying to reach to ensure your project is completed on time.
4. Make sure your pattern maker understands your sketch, measurements, details and over all vision by providing them with detail technical packs or detailed notes.
5. Ask to view samples of their past work or a list of past clients. Don’t be afraid to ask about their experience and education.